Key Signs You Need To See A Foot And Ankle Specialist

6 December 2021
 Categories: , Blog


If you ever have a problem with your feet or ankles, there are specialists you can see known as podiatrists. If you're showing any of the following signs, it's probably best to see one of these foot and ankle professionals as soon as you can.

Chronic Joint Pain

If you spend a lot of time on your feet, you may have to deal with joint pain at some point. If it's become a chronic issue, you should speak to a foot and ankle specialist that can carefully examine your joint problems in person.

They'll assess your pain levels and get a better picture of your history with this particular problem. Then they can recommend a personalized treatment plan that targets joint pain, whether it's prescription medication, ice/heat packs, or steroid injections. With a podiatrist's help, you can find relief that is able to last.

Feet Numbness

One of the more serious foot-related problems is constant numbness. It could be a sign of nerve damage or a precursor to diabetes. Either way, you'll find out meaningful answers about this problem when you schedule a visit with a foot and ankle specialist.

They'll conduct a full assessment where they test your feet's sensitivity to different stimuli. That's going to tell them how numb your feet are and what may be causing the issue. A foot and ankle specialist will come to a conclusive diagnosis, which you can then use to find the appropriate forms of treatment.

Thick Calluses

If your skin experiences friction or irritation on a regular basis, calluses may start to form. They're pretty standard for feet, but if they're very thick, you'll probably want to see a foot and ankle specialist as soon as possible. 

They can use a surgical blade to remove the callus after an initial consultation. That's going to help you find relief and also improve your posture when walking and standing. Additionally, a foot and ankle specialist can help you find ways to prevent calluses in the future -- such as wearing special shoes that keep your feet from rubbing against each other. 

When you have more serious issues related to your feet or ankles, you'll want to see a specialist as soon as you can to find out answers and hopefully get a solid treatment plan. Podiatrists can provide these things while educating you, so that you're able to keep the same foot and ankle problems from happening in the future. Contact a local foot and ankle specialist to learn more.